Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Maunawili Falls: Or should I say Maunawili's Revenge???

On Saturday Pike and I joined a rather large group of friends to go on a hike. The hike was Maunawili Falls, this hike is known to be easy, but I would have to beg to differ. Mind you, we did go on this hike after it had poured rain the whole day before.

We did bring both our camera and video camera because we were determined to have amazing pictures to post and brag about our adventures. Sadly, we had forgotten to put the memory card back into the camera after downloading pictures from the previous post, and the video camera, well, we just need to figure out our relationship with it... it works but just not when we need it to work! No worries... thank goodness for google and other people who have taken pictures. I have downloaded the hike for you all to see!

Here is the begging, nothing to hard...



The river, that we crossed a few times during the hike...
This is however, where the hike started to take a nasty turn. After the first cross over the river the trail was pure mud and sticks! We were wearing flip flops, which didnt quite work with the mud. So, we took off our shoes and began to do the hike barefoot. Now I dont want to sound like a complainer, I did enjoy the hike, but I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HATE TO BE BAREFOOT!! K, so we are doing this barefoot and not thinking of what is going on, apparently there were millions of mosquitoes lurking in the mud and loving every minute of our bare skin.



More of the Hike, Finally stairs!!!! Just a little piece of heaven, making the hike easier...no mud!



This is where the hike turns beautiful! Just standing there and taking in all of the views was probably my favorite part!



The End! The waterfall, yes it is pretty, but in our opinion not quite worth it... It was fun to be there though. Pike and some of his friends jumped from the highest cliff into the freezing cold water. It was funny to watch everyone jump, most of whom smacked the water so hard, it had to of hurt them really bad, but since there were so many of us by standers, they covered up the pain and forced smiles onto their faces! and yes, Pike was one of them!!! haha



Now why do I refer to the hike as revenge you might ask...
The next day, Pike could barely walk, his legs got quite the work out, both of our feet hurt, and bug bites everywhere! I should have taken pictures, but most of mine swelled up to the size of golf balls. And that's no exaggeration! People at church were mystified, they had never seen anything like it! We will also be digging out the mud from out toenails for who knows how long!!! All and all, I'm glad we did it!

Needless to say, for those of you who may come visit us in the future and you want to do this hike, I hope you have fun! We will show you the way to get there, but we will not be doing it again. :)

oh I almost forgot, the best part of the day was when we got into the car and our friends Matty and Lindsay invited us to go into Kailua to get Acai bowls! I love Kailua and would be happy to take you visitors there!!!

6 comments:

Richard Pike said...

Can I just skip the hike when I come and go for an Acai bowl?

pike said...

that sounds perfect!

The Key's said...

Oh my heck!! I did that hike when I was there in Sept :) And it had rained the day before too and was so muddy and slippery! That's hilarious :) Looks like you are loving Hawaii! I'm so glad - miss you tons!

Mitch, Kris, and Tricky said...

Oh it's so gorgeous! That's so funny that you were sore. Maybe you guys should try working out. J/k. Sounds like you had fun though!

Nicole S said...

Nice place. Looks cozy. Is your bathroom outside of your apt? I would have loved to see the pics of your feet after the hike. Dang. Have you started learning how to surf?

missy said...

That is the funniest thing. Yes, I'll just skip the hike, and we'll go get an Acai bowl, and hit the beach. I miss you, and can't wait to see you in a month!!!